Friday, September 28, 2012

FIrst blog: please introduce yourself

Hi everyone, and welcome to the first actual blog post.  This one is a bit of a freebie as you don't have to respond to anyone's post (although you can if you want).

Please introduce yourself to the group.  Say where you are from, and/or where you are connected to, and give us an example of something you care passionately about.  I'll go first.  Mine is a bit long (because I've been around for a bit longer than most of you), so don't feel like you have to go into as much detail as I do.  But something along similar lines would be good.

Soooo.  Here goes:

My name is Chris Fung and I am a fifth generation Chinese New Zealander. When I was young, my family moved to England where I lived for 8 years so this has influenced the way I think about myself quite a lot. In some ways I am culturally more English than anything else. I studied in Beijing for 2 years right after college but I don't really feel all that connected to Beijing, especially since it's changed so much since I was there.

I have also lived in the US for a long time now, I came to Boston to go to grad school and mostly lived across the river in Somerville. I now live in Dorchester which I actually like a lot better than Somerville (sorry Somerville). For ten years I lived on O'ahu in Hawai`i. I lived in the ahupua`a of Makiki for most of that time and for a short while I lived in Kapahulu/Waikiki.

My mother's family come from Jung Sing and my father's family come from Siu Hing. These are counties in Guangdong Province in southern China. My mother's father owned a fruit shop in a place called Fielding, in the lower North Island of New Zealand. His father (my great grandfather) was a terrible gambler and actually lost the shop several times through gambling debts.

My mum's dad was not a very nice man apparently. While he begrudgingly allowed my mother to attend college (she was one of the first Chinese New Zealand women to do so), he would only allow her to major in Home Economics instead of Literature or Physics which were the majors she wanted to do.

My dad's family were early converts to Christianity in Guangdong. According to family lore, my great grandfather on my dad's side was actually thrown out of the village for converting. During the 1930s my grandfather and my great uncle in particular were pretty high up in the Chinese Baptist Church. My dad remembers when Guangzhou fell to the Japanese and they had to flee into the hills and live on grass and leaves boiled up into mush because there was no other food. After the Wars ended, my dad's family initially stayed in China but then left in the early 1950s after my great uncle died (family lore says he was poisoned by the Communists, but my dad thinks this is probably incorrect).

My dad's family went to Hong Kong and then my grandfather was sent to New Zealand to be the pastor of a Chinese Baptist church in Gisborne on the East Coast of New Zealand. He was then sent down to Wellington, the capital, to be the pastor there where he remained until he retired. My grandfather loved to talk (this is probably where I get my own over-verbal lecture style from). He died from hypertension (too much salt in his diet) in his late 70s.

I have two children now. The oldest, my son Isaac (14), lives in Kenya with his mother. She's a marine biologist with the Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute. We met while I was teaching anthropology back in New Zealand, and she was getting her masters in marine bio.
I go to see them every summer but it's hard since I can only see him once a year and he's now a pre-teen. Luckily Kenya is in some ways, a little less challenging as a place to be an adolescent than the US is.

My daughter Leomana is almost 11 months old. She has her mother's eyes, a beautiful smile and is just about to start walking. She is very interested in people for the most part and is a wonderfully good-natured baby. Being a parent is wonderful but pretty tiring as well. I'm sure it's going to be just as wonderful and just as tiring for the next 20 years or so. My wife and I were counting up all the places Leomana is connected to by heritage and potential citizenship and we came up with eight different countries!! Figuring out which other languages she should learn is a pretty algebraic proposition, so we'll probably start with Spanish (which is not native or heritage for either of us).

The last thing I would say about my connections is that I have been a musician specializing in traditional West African, Afro-Cuban and Afro-Haitian rhythms for close to 35 years now. I started out playing in the engine room of a Trinidadian steel band based at Weslyan University in Connecticut and have studied drumming with a number of teachers over the years. The most important are Nurudfafini Pili Abena and Jah Amen Mobley (who were students of Babatunde Olatunji at the Elma Lewis Center in Roxbury), Fode Oulare, Reggae MacGowan and Moussa "Pico" Bangoura. I have been a semi-professional musician but I really love playing for dance classes. I have worked with a number of amazing and generous dance teachers in Boston, Cambridge, Chicago and St. Louis and strive to be worthy of all my teachers as a human being and as a member of several different musical lineages.

I am very proud to be a teacher at UMass Boston. I have worked at four other universities, private, public, elite and overseas, and I am 100% certain that UMB is the place I have been happiest at. It's partly my colleagues, the students and the location, but its also the urban mission and the sense that education is a real gift that has value to people in the UMB community. It's not seen as an entitlement or a mere transaction here.

7 comments:

  1. Hi everyone,

    My name is Aoife O’Flaherty. I am in my second year at UMass Boston as I transferred here after a year spent at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. I grew up in South Boston and my sister graduated from UMass Boston last May. She gained an enormous amount from her experience at UMass so I found it to be an obvious choice for me as well. Bucknell was a really good school but I couldn’t stomach the expense and the lack of diversity there prompted me to seek a change towards something more culturally and socially stimulating. I love UMass and I am double majoring in English and Italian. I studied Italian in high school and also studied abroad in Turin a year and a half ago. This was the best experience of my life and I would recommend every student to study abroad if possible.
    Ethnically I am 100 % Irish. My dad grew up on a small Island off the Western coast of Ireland called Inis Mor. In the Irish language, not Gaelic as many people believe, Inis Mor translates as “Big Island” because it is the biggest of the three Aran Islands off the coast of Galway. This place is the most beautiful of anywhere I have ever been. My father grew up with three sisters, two of whom still live on the Island, and two brothers. His brother, Ronan, was the only other sibling who immigrated to the United States with my father. Many people think Irish is a dead language but it is actually the national language of the country and many people still speak it daily.
    My mom grew up in Massachusetts but her mother is from Ireland, as well as her grandparents on her father’s side. She met my father on Saint Patrick’s Day and they haven’t separated since.
    I love studying both English and Italian and was not able to choose between the two so I chose to double major. Although I am not ethnically related to Italian culture or heritage, I have a strong passion for everything associated with it. I am not sure exactly what I want to do with my studies in the future, but I am hoping the rest of my time at UMass will help lead me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Amanda Doyle and I am from East Boston. I live here with my fiance, who I've been with since I was 14, and my two children. I've lived here my whole life and love living in the city and being so close to so many amazing things. I am in my fifth year at UMass Boston and will (finally) be graduating in the spring. I have an English major and an Anthropology minor and currently am just finishing up electives and honors courses for my needed credits. I am going to go to graduate school to get my master's in education and hope to be certified in both early childhood and elementary education. Ideally, I would love to teach kindergarten-first grade but would be open to teaching anything up to fifth grade. I am also tossing around the idea of opening a daycare, but that is partly due to selfish reasons as it would be convenient to be able to take future children to work with me, so I'll probably steer more toward teaching. My daughter, Arielle, was born when I was 17 and a senior in high school. Now she is in kindergarten and she loves to dance and do gymnastics. My son, JJ (short for Joshua, Jr.), was born in January of this year. I took the spring semester off for his birth and am still trying to get back into the rhythm of being in school. I love to read but find that I rarely have the time to read for enjoyment anymore. I look forward to getting to know you all - see you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Patricia Radzikowski. I am currently a senior majoring in Biology and I am graduating in spring 2013! I was born in Taipei, Taiwan. You can classify me as an American Chinese, because I speak English without an accent and I am fluent in my mother tongue Mandarin Chinese. Even though I was born in a foreign country, I am an American citizen by birth because my father was an American expatriate. I am a typical American: 50% Chinese, 25% Polish, and 25% Russian. My mother is Taiwanese and my father is American born and raised in New York City and is an avid New York Yankees baseball fan. My mother grew up in a rural farming household outside of Kaohsiung, while my father grew up in an urban environment.
    I relocated to the United States with my family in 1997. I am an iterant American, having lived in various places as Virginia, Maryland, Nebraska, and finally Massachusetts. In fact, when I moved to Billerica, Massachusetts from Omaha, Nebraska during my freshman year of high school, I was called the “Nebraska girl.” In reality, I only spent my junior high school years in Nebraska, but to the native Massachusetts students of Billerica Memorial High School, I’ve spent my entire life there. To entertain them at times, I would say that most of Nebraska has no indoor plumbing and the people there would only shower when it rained. Surprisingly, some fell for my yarns.
    My hobbies include reading, playing my guitar, and snowboarding. I always look forward to the New England winters because I love to go snowboarding with my friends. Last winter was a “bummer” with high temperatures and no snowfall. I like to watch stand-up comedy and when given time, I go to the Wilbur Theatre to watch the comedians. I really enjoy watching dark comedy shows such as It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I think that somewhere deep inside of me is a cynic who looks at life with a half-grin and wonders “what else can go wrong?”
    I am currently living in Waltham and I am a commuter, riding the MBTA Red Line subway from Alewife to school every day. Waltham is a wonderful place to live; everything here is in walking distance. I find myself enjoying walking as part of my cardiovascular workout. Saturday is our family day. We have a habit of going to the farmer’s market every week on that day to purchase fresh produce and bread. However, last Saturday, we engaged in the annual Massachusetts event: a trip to New Hampshire to check out the foliage. Unfortunately, we were sidetracked by a major car accident on Route 93 North and instead ended up at Lake Sunapee. During the winter, Lake Sunapee is a popular snow and ski resort and I always enjoyed going snowboarding there. I found that walking down the mountain is more difficult than snowboarding down it. Message received, it’s time for me to shape up for snowboarding season. At evenings after school, you’ll find me in my workout outfit walking up and down the hills of Waltham trying to get myself in shape. There is another reason why I have a passion for snowboarding; it’s not just the freedom of moving downhill at a high speed and being graceful like a gazelle. Snowboarding is also a fashion statement and I am trying to fit back into my expensive outfit and look presentable!
    I never thought that I would major in Biology, because I found science in high school boring and too challenging. However, I came to realize that Biology is much more than mundane facts and an arcane language presented in a 500-page textbook. After graduation, I am planning a career in the pharmaceutical sales industry. I’m also considering becoming a research assistant at one of the large hospital centers in Boston. Either of these occupations is very competitive, but I am ready for the challenge with my honors degree from the University of Massachusetts. I really enjoyed my time spent here at UMass Boston and I would like to put my degree into good use, whatever what career I choose. I can’t wait to get to know all of you and I look forward to coming to this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justina Bonfiglio
    Honors 490
    Blog
    September 30, 2012



    Hey guys! My name is Justina and I’m 21 years old. I’m an honors student at UMB and I’m currently a junior. My major is psychology. I’m going to continue my education with graduate school and I hope to work in a school or hospital as a family therapist. I love helping people. I’m also a great listener. I always had a knack for solving people’s problems!
    I was first person born in the United States in my family. My mother and family were born in Italy. I still have family who lives in Italy, and I’ve visited them a total of 3 times. I love to travel. Italy is a beautiful country. I’m very lucky to have had the opportunity to explore the country! My maternal grandparents live through World War II and were in Italy while Mussolini was dictator. Their stories from that time are unbelievable. I love hearing them speak about it. I’m a family person. I love my family very much! The only down part is I’m an only child. I would have loved to have brothers and sisters. However, most of my cousins are like my siblings so it’s not so bad.
    I have a major passion for reading. I absolutely love to read. I can get through a decent sized book in less than one day. Currently my favorite books are The Hunger Games series and the Harry Potter series. I’m always excited to sink my teeth into the next book!
    Since I’m Italian, I’m able to understand the language pretty well. Unfortunately, I don’t speak it. Aside from Italian, I also have a basic knowledge for the Spanish language. It’s ironic because I speak Spanish better than I speak Italian! I have been studying Spanish since my freshman year of High School. I went to Revere High School and graduated with high honors. I’m proud to say I’ve always done well in school. I have to thank my mother for that. She always pushed me to be the best person I can be. She is always there to support me and cheer me on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    My name is Shannon O’Neill. I was raised in Warren, MA, a very small town in between Worcester and Springfield, about ten minutes from Sturbridge. I moved to Boston for college when I was 18. I lived at the Peninsula next to UMass Boston my freshman year, but I am extremely happy that I moved to the South End, where I’ve been living for the past three years. I live in a loft with my boyfriend and our black cat, Milo, and I couldn’t imagine a better or more convenient location for someone in their early twenties. My apartment is walking distance from all my favorite bars, restaurants, and shops, and I do not plan on relocating anytime soon.

    I am an English major and a Communications minor in the first semester of my senior year and I will be graduating in May. I love being an English major and I feel that it is an under-appreciated field of study. I constantly get the question “What are you going to do with that…be a teacher?” The question used to bother me, but now I just laugh when people ask it. As much as I enjoy studying English, I do not want to be or plan to be a teacher after I graduate, but feel that the major develops analytical and communication skills that are crucial to being successful in any career.

    For the past two years, I have held an internship at TJX. My internship is with the HomeGoods Product Development department. During summer and winter breaks I work full time, but while school is in session I work about twenty hours a week. I research home design trends, work with buyers to design products, and also get paid to go shopping. For me, it’s the best job I can imagine. I would love to have a career in Product Development after graduation, but the department only has nine people in it, and I will not know if a position will be available for me until March…luckily I am the only person in line for that position, though. If it happens that Product Development cannot hire me, I plan on staying with TJX, going into PASE (which is a buyer-training program), and becoming a buyer.

    In case it’s not already clear, shopping is something that I love to do. It’s not just “shopping” though, I love researching trends, doing trend forecasts, and pulling looks together for both clothing and interior design. When I was a little kid, I used to cut up magazines and make collages. I thought that was just a weird hobby, but after working in product development, I realized it’s actually an interest that I can make into a career, and I feel really lucky that I can make a career out of that passion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings! My name is Nirell Mckudu and I hail from Cape Town South Africa! I came to the US to pursue a career in Fashion but primarily focusing on Print Media. I attended the illustrious American International School of Johannesburg and attended boarding school my senior year. My father was also the Chairman of the Board so my high school experience was quite interesting. My graduating class consisted of 52 students from 32 nationalities. I have lived in several countries and have a huge appreciation for other cultures and the manner in which we all uniquely express ourselves. Prior to coming to UMASS I attended an all-girls college in the south that provided me with a unique experience. While attending school in the Southern part of the US I developed an interest also in business in the world of fashion and beauty. I interned at L’oreal in NYC in their Sales/Marketing department working primarily on their Redken Hair care Products for men. That was a great experience as I got to meet the French team that came to brainstorm re-launching some of the products. I also later was granted the opportunity to work for Upscale Magazine, a Black owned beauty publication and truly enjoyed the experience. I was primarily hired to write for the Lifestyles department but later was utilized in the Music department. I was granted the experience to work and communicate with music labels, managers, and radio djs. I loved the fact that I also got to interview and meet people such as Jada Pinkett and Jamie Foxx and I also got privy to the new hip hop music that was coming out as I was encouraged to write music reviews which was stellar! My interest in Boston and coming to school here was drawn from an opportunity I was granted here to intern for State Street Bank. My first internship was for 4months and I was primarily working in their sales and marketing department writing editorial pieces on their electronic trading system to prospective clients. I was later offered to intern again and I was granted the blessing to work in the Equity Trading which was a huge learning experience; I truly learned a lot and the importance of professionalism and how to deal with a variety of personalities and to be able to achieve your higher objective. My present major is English and I am still learning and growing and seeking new opportunities for growth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All,
    Wow, Am I late to this party or what?
    So to all, My name is Jennifer Phan, I no longer have a preference for a nickname but Jenn is easier on the tongue. My family is not that large but we are a bit off. We live up the north so its one hell of a commute to get into Boston. We usually go by car-pool, I havent gotten my drivers license due to schedule conflicts. I have a job over at Starbucks and its either making me a misanthrope or I just meet too many rude customers. But either way, I like the unlimited coffee I get.

    Working out in a gym or writing a paper without music is hellish for me. I need to have some background noise to focus on. Music range from jazz to the mow-towns to top-40s but I love singing to Disney songs when I get the chance.

    Few things that I am interested is in the human body and as well as art.
    By the human body I mean in a retrospect that its amazing and beauty and its mysterious. Everything about the human body is like having a continuous playlist of podcast. From the neurons to the blood cell to hormones to everyday thoughts. Lucky for me that theres so many classes on human actions and body.

    Sometimes you will see me doodle during class, then there are 9/10 times you will see me trying to NOT nod off in class. I have no idea why but almost every class i have ever taken in my education that I have fallen asleep or nodded off at. <- will check it out. -__-

    I hope to make it to graduate school for Public Health after getting my bachelors here at UMass. You can often see me around campus and if you do make sure to say hi!! :D




    ReplyDelete